Friday, December 25, 2015

The 2015 Holiday Letter!

Hello everyone!
Welcome to the Fosters’ Holiday Update, 2015! I don’t say “holiday” because I am ignoring Christmas, but don’t forget there’re many holidays this time of year: Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, the release of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”; the list goes on.  I hope all of them are treating you right.
The best way to describe our year I think is that we are putting the “tired” in “retired,” but in the most wonderful possible ways.  Early this year I took on a job as an academic coordinator for the Fort Lewis Language Center, and within about six weeks that turned into “Regional Manager.”  It’s an amazing job, surrounded by amazing people.  My staff is from such exotic places as China, Russia, Lebanon, Israel, Afghanistan, and California; I feel like a Bond Villain every time I show up for work.  There is a lot of work though, so it keeps me moving like the Millennium Falcon on the Kessel Run (too obscure?).  Still this year, I managed to get a book in print, and the first half of my next on digits.  Also did some great collaboration with a phenomenal artist here in Washington to do a small print run on the first of a series of graphic novels.  Need to find a way to reverse that “real job/writing” time ratio.
Also, Jennifer and I found time this year to have another wedding to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the first one.  It was a small affair still, but with less tears or shotguns than the first, and a Priest who I think might actually be more of a Trekkie than I am.  We then had a nice honeymoon in Canada, where Jennifer let me do a drive-by (only) of the set to the new Star Trek movie.  There was no repeat of “The Doohan Incident” of ’92.  I behaved. 
We also made some trips this year down to New Mexico to see Zack, Toni, and Jade and their new house.  That Granddaughter, no offense to you all, is my favorite human right now, and she even dressed as a Stormtrooper for Halloween.  Brings tears of joy to this nerd’s eyes.  I’m sure it won’t be long until we’re out looking for droids together…
Jen and I also have been empty-nesters this year.  Hannah spent the first part of the year in Boise, then recently moved out into her own rental across town.  She’s still coming by to watch Doctor Who each week, but I can’t hold that against her.  She’s doing all right, and it’s neat to watch her Adulting all on her own.  Mostly.
Our animal family sadly shrunk by one this year.  Patches the Evil Cat™ turned 18 this year, but also got very sick, so we had to take her to the vet one last time.  Even the dogs miss her…well, Eightball does.  Luna and Patches had an uneasy truce, but I sure miss having her around.  She was Evil, but she was family.  I buried her out front hoping for a horror movie type resurrection, but I guess only some of the terrible things you see on TV extend into real life.
And as I wrap this up, I want to extend our love to you all.  All of you are proof that life is not as horrible as the TV would have you believe.  Yes, there are bad things in the world, but all of you are evidence of the good too, and so long as we stick together on that, there’s nothing the bad can do to win.  Unless “The Force Awakens” is bad, then it’s game over.
We love you all, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and May the Force Be With You.
Daniel, Jennifer, Eightball Tiberius, and Lunafish


No comments: